Thursday 25 November 2010

Molly Parkin 0 - Chris Evans 1. The Radio 2 Christmas Quiz.

I was invited to see (hear, I don't know) Molly Parkin at Ronnie Scotts this evening. While I was umming and ahing; mostly umming to be frank, Chris called from the Tabernacle and invited me down to sit in on the BBC Radio 2 christmas quiz recording hosted by Chris Evans.

You know, THAT Chris Evans. The bloke designed by God to wind up  middle aged, middle class Britain and be a warning to us all.

Heads up folks.  In the intervening years since I last really clocked the guy he has turned into the consummate broadcaster and a master of stagecraft (radio stage ok). He is very very good.

It was a funny, light-hearted, well managed evening. Obviously the audience was partisan (they asked for tickets) and happy to oblige with preordained applause and cheers. I on the other hand being a steely hearted fucker would not clap on cue but clapped a few times because I wanted to.

The contestants collectively; Tony Blackburn,Patrick Kielty, Janice Long, Kate Thornton (cor),Trevor Nelson, Simon Mayo were, of course, a BBC 'jamboree bag'  (remember those, ones first experience of a 'curates egg' but invariably having something to smile about (even a curates egg had a yolk; boom boom)), but it worked... the troopers trooped without too much gloop and Chris kept the train on the tracks.

Tony Blackburn obliged by cracking a freedom pass joke that was in itself entitled to a freedom pass.

I talked to Chris Evans briefly afterwards, a little bit of polite Hampstead remember the days stuff, but I was interested to note that he was the one 'celeb' to stay behind and actually have some time for his audience... I'm impressed.

The thing finished early enough for me to grab a pint at the Cow followed by a little bit of mid-week Cabaret courtesey of 'Maison Du Chien' at Bumkin in Westbourne Park Road.

That is just a Wednesday in Notting Hill.

The Radio 2 quiz is being broadcast on Christmas day; the old bloke trying not to laugh in the background.

That's me!

No comments: