Saturday 2 October 2010

The Cobden Club



The back story:

Some days ago, having been sent packing by the doorpeople at the Cobden I posted a rather unflattering article about the place: http://jannieupjur.blogspot.com/2010/09/cobden-crap-taurus-trakker-plus-powa-at.html

Yesterday I received an email from the cobden expressing disappointment.  I was invited to attend a gig last night. I replied stating that I would gladly attend and 'give it another go' (I removed my earlier piece).  Later that day I was asked by an online magazine to review the show at the cobden that night.  I was told that I was on the door list and I was given the names of two people who would be happy to talk to me about their event. They had been informed of my existence!

the email from the cobden:


Dear Tristan,

I came across your blog and was a little disappointed by your remarks. Firstly the Cobden is not responsible for taking money at the door that would be the promoter that is running the night. We are a private members club so we usually only let in members of the Club. If a promoter is running a night he is responsible for his guest list and any money that is being paid to attend his night. The night in Question is Café Rocks, run by Micky P.

Secondly the night was a great success and Joseph was all he is hyped up to be.

If you ever do want to come down to one of our live music nights, please do drop me an email and I’ll put you on the guest list.

Tonight we have the launch of You Bloom.. Let me know if you would like to attend.



The middle:

I walked to the Cobden (15 minutes) in the pissing rain only to be refused entry by the same piece of work at the door; an old lady dressed as some kind of cabaret/tart/ringmaster thing.  I was told that I was not welcome there. 

Fair enough!  But why invite me in the first place?  
  

The end:

The only part of the Cobden I can write about is the Door; it is wooden and I used it with relish.

I was right the first time; the Cobden Club is not very good!

No comments: