Friday 22 October 2010

Banksy Film at the Pop up Cinema W11.(Banksy has aerosoled out) And the Rotting Hill Gang.

Oi Banksy! The place for street art is on the street not in the cinema.


The minute you place Plexiglas over a wall painting is the moment you condemn it to mediocrity. The minute you put it on celuloid (or video) the same.  Street art IS because of it's ephemeral nature not because of it's self importance.


I started to watch a film narrated by someone pretending to be Banksy about an extremely boring bloke with a video camera. The high point for me was a length of green rope about 15 minutes into the video... Sorry Fillum.


PHEW!


Having said that, the pop up Cinema under the Westway is Great and should be celebrated.


Pop up Cinema 10 - Banksy 0


There was a great tribute to Ari Up beforehand though.


Do I get an award for reviewing this before the thing has ended...No.  But I got to meet Gary from the Rotten Hill Gang outside the Muse in Portobello Road who asked me along to a gig up the road which is just up my graffiti bedecked street!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear fil-um
Please can I borrow one of your "L" letters because Tristan is too lazy to speecheck and I keep faaing over.
Ouch. Multiple thanks.
Celluloid